Ximen Tea House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to discuss Caesar Wu and Nicky Li's friendship, their individual works and archive of their various information, translations and subtitled videos.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Drama Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
xichaguan
Admin
xichaguan

Drama Review Empty
PostSubject: Drama Review   Drama Review Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2020 10:45 pm

Drama Review 00861p10

I had certain expectations for "99 Points Girlfriend" ever since I read the synopsis last year when Jiaqi started filming. And while I kept telling myself to manage my expectations because the outcome might not be as good as expected, this drama has really surpassed all of my expectations!! This is the best romantic comedy drama I've ever seen in several years. Script, directing, editing, music, clothes, makeup, props, locations, acting are first rate and I'm shocked.

Story 9/10
I searched for Nan Zhen's other works last year, as soon as I found out she is the writer of 99. I watched "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend," the first drama script she ever written. It is about a guy who buys a female robot, he can set her up as any character he want her to be and when a programming error occurs, she keep changing character/personalities from an innocent girl to a gangster woman to a sex addict, etc. So it is somewhat similar kind of plot with 99, in which, the girl keep changing personalities and causes troubles for the guy. That time, I was satisfied to know Nan Zhen knows how to write plot progress/development neatly and the characters are well written too, however the pace was slow and it got draggy after first half. So I expected this for 99.

But it was not draggy at all! The pacing is perfect! Nan Zhen's writing has improved by a mile by the time she wrote 99! I'm very surprised! "99 Points Girlfriend" story has an awesome balance of romance, comedy and depth. Every character is very well written with satisfying growth and development. Not only the major main characters, but every minor character serves a purpose in the story. It makes me care for every character.

I do have minor complaints, though. The CEO Meng arc was not believable enough for me, when everyone just suddenly played along. Also the part in which Shen Yi's step mom asked her to pretend to suffer PTSD attack and change into someone else, I am not buying these plots. But they did not mess up the plot or pace. Maybe it is just my personal preference.

It is difficult to write a script that can satisfy everyone and Nan Zhen is relatively a new scriptwriter in the industry, so I would still give her 99 script a 9!

Casting 10/10
The cast ensemble is amazing! They are all adorable and lovable and fits their roles greatly! The LS employees has several outstanding actors and actress, just awesome! They all have great teamwork and great comedic timing too!

Acting Performance 9/10
All the cast overall did a great job!

Drama Review 0084mr11

Zhao Yiqin 9/10
Yiqin's acting improvement pleasantly surprised me. His acting performance for the emotional and crying scenes are 10/10, they are all very natural, I'm really enjoying those scenes. I think this is his strength. However, the 9 score, is because he is not funny enough for a comedy role. I think he need to improve his comedy/comical acting more. Bai Shu, the male lead in "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" has very funny facial expressions and gestures everytime the robot makes trouble for him. I feel Yiqin is not comfortable yet for a comedy role, he probably still concern about his looks, haha, and dare not to make himself look ugly, I don't know. I hope he will improve his comedy acting someday.

Li Jiaqi 9.5/10
Jiaqi's improvement shocked me the most! She was awkward and unnatural sometimes, as Xiaoyou. She was still awkward as Su Cancan sometimes, she did improve a bit in "Wait My Youth" but crying scene was not good, for me. I did not have any expectation for her to improve. So I'm shocked to see her great improvement in acting skill. Not only she was able to distinguish each personality with small expressions and gestures, but her emotional scenes are very natural and her crying scenes are beautiful. She has become an amazing actress! I'm a proud mom! *crying* I hope her acting will be consistent.
I do find she was not convincing enough as CEO Meng, though. But that's just more room for improvement. She is still very young and she has time. Continue to surpass yourself, Jiaqi!

Fan Zhixin 9/10
I saw him in "Love You Like The Mountains and Ocean" last year and my opinion is that he is not a good actor. His acting in emotional scenes was bad. So, again, I am very surprised because he is soooo good and natural as Sui An. He is really good in the emotional scenes too. I'm really satisfied with his portrayal as Sui An.

He Meixuan 8.5/10
This is the first time I see her, and I really love her portrayal as the bitchy rival as well as bitchy best friend hahaha she is awesome, and gaaahhhd she is super beautiful and has perfect body shape. Totally suits Wei Lei!

Pu Tao 8.5/10
She is super cool as A Tao, and totally a lovable character, love her!

Su Zelin 8.5/10
I'm surprised at how I end up liking him so much! I did not like his face in the beginning, cos he is too soft and girly hahah but awww he is just so adorable!

Cheng Muxuan 8.5/10
I love her as villain haha I never hate this character, she is fun to watch haha

JiaQin Chemistry 10/10
Their on-screen chemistry was already 9.5 in "Wait My Youth" for me, and in 99 whhooo---aaaa.... speechless!! They really have great teamwork and they make me believe they are in love aaackkk! The script that is really about LOVE STORY, pushes forward their chemistry even better. (In WMY, the story was more about youth and growth rather than the romance.)
Can't wait for their 3rd work! eeekkk

Directing 10/10
My biggest worry was the directing. Because "Accidentally In Love" was not a good show for me. So when I found out it is the same director as AIL, I kept worrying about this. But gosh, the directing for 99 is awesome!! I love every scene's directing style and details. They are all arranged perfectly. Meng Hui vs Wei Lei scene in Episode 2 was very well choreographed and edited. The intensity level of Episode 4 ending scene was perfect. The "I dont want to breakup" kiss scene in Ep11 is so beautiful with the night city background. The super angsty rainy bus station scene at the end of Ep16 was very well shot. The wedding scene is so beautiful and eventful at the same time. Great job by director, I have no complaints!

Songs & Music 9.5/10
The OST songs in WMY are better for me, but I really loooove the music scores selection in 99! It has Hollywood taste.

Overall 9.5/10
There are so many aspects I need to praise!
Clothes and Make-up: I want to give the stylist an award. The clothes and make-up are the best I've ever seen!
Decoration: The rooms decoration are so pretty and so nice to look at. The color choices are amazing!
Locations: The night scenery of Nanjing is super beautiful, the choice of locations are very good

All in all, THE BEST ROMANTIC COMEDY OF 2020, so far!!!

Drama Review 0084mr10
Back to top Go down
https://ximenteahouse.forumotion.com

Drama Review
Page 1 of 1